Saturday, April 24, 2010

OpenSolaris Installation Bug

I'm leaving this for breadcrumbs... scratch this though. More to follow.

This has frustrated me for hours, largely because I changed all the wrong suspects before finding the real suspect. It was my first installation from USB media, so I thought that might be bad. It was my fist installation to a new SD so that was suspect. My disk controller (driver) was suspect. I have my home server sitting on the kitchen counter to install OpenSolaris. I didn't have a network cable strung to it, that was going in when it returned to its proper home. Installing OpenSolaris without a network attached fails! The symptom is errors trying to sign in after installation:

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/usrname/.ICEauthority
/usr/lib/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

Attaching a cable after installation doesn't resolve it, apparently it needs to be networked at installation time (there are other post-installation workarounds):
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6913780

And all of the above about need a cable attached might be completely bogus too. I'm not going to take still more time right now to find out. It turned out the installation cd also has no driver for my NIC. Here's hoping this one works for the long term:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/nfo-2.6.3.tar.gz

No comments: